How can you recycle used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you choose to update to a more sophisticated model like cochlear implants or you got them from a departed family member: donate your pre-owned hearing aids versus throwing them away.
There are lots of people dealing with loss of hearing who would benefit from donated hearing aid, and a few institutions out there that collect and distribute those hearing aids to the people in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and learn how you can do it.
Why It’s Important to Donate a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- About 14% of the total population, has loss of hearing
- Of all of the adults who have hearing loss 91% percent are over 50 years old
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually make use of hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of those over 70 who require hearing aids have ever had them
I think we should be concerned. Because untreated hearing loss has been linked to multiple health problems from an increased risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. In fact, new research comes out every day showing how important hearing is to your general health. These health problems can be eliminated and in some situations reversed by hearing aids.
And the last convincing point is that loss of hearing can cost the ordinary family $12,000 in income each year. But that expense can actually be reduced by as much as 50% by using hearing aids.
It may not be possible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
Your used hearing aid can have a tremendous effect, in the health, quality of life and financial well-being, for a person in need who could not otherwise afford a hearing aid. It may also cost a child the ability to get into college and better their lives because they can’t hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
There are many volunteer groups and makers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come by and we can help you find a recycling strategy. Or give us a call.